These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
BICI Lasagne Verde with Greens
<p>For this lasagne, we used <span class="caps">BICI</span> Lasagne Verde sheets that have raw pureed spinach and italian leaf parsley. For the filling, we used cooked greens of all different sorts as we have a habit of saving greens like the outer leaves of escarole, radish or beet tops, arugula, or turnip greens. Any and all of these are great combined with spinach or chard and wilted together in olive oil, garlic, and a pinch of hot pepper, then chopped up for the lasagne. <br /> Get ready for some flavor!</p>Source: BICI pasta (inspired by great culinarians) (Entered by Luke Wetzel)
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and let it gently sizzle without browning. Add the red chile flake, and then the greens. Stir ingredients well and let the greens wilt for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir again. Remove from the heat.
- Drain the greens in a colander and cool. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze the greens to remove excess liquid. Set aside.
- Place the ricotta cheese in a medium size mixing bowl. Add the lemon zest and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- For the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, without letting the mixture brown. Whisk in the milk a half cup at a time, letting the sauce thicken after each addition. Once all the milk is added, simmer for 10 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Thin with extra milk if necessary. Remove from and keep warm.
- To assemble the lasagne, boil BICI Lasagne Verde sheets per the BICI cooking instructions 2 sheets at a time to prevent sticking and promote even cookery. Cook the sheets as you go, for 2-3 minutes (al dente). Plunge them into ice-cold water immediately to stop cooking, then blot on a clean kitchen towel.
- Butter a 8X12 or 9X11 baking dish. For the first layer, lay 2 sheets side by side in the bottom of the dish. Spread evenly 1/4 of the cooked greens over the pasta, then dot the greens with the ricotta cheese. Spoon 1/2 cup béchamel sauce over the greens and cheese, then sprinkle with Parmigiano. Repeat the process for 3 more layers. Finish with 2-3 sheets of pasta on top, coat the top with remaining béchamel, and finish with the rest of the Parmigiano.
- Refrigerate the lasagne for several hours to marry the flavors and set the pasta. Bring the lasagne to room temperature before baking. Bake the lasagne at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or so, until bubbling and lightly browned on top. Lest rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with others and come back for more BICI pasta!
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings